How to black-out the Live Image and disable Recording

In specific applications (such as Hospital Wards and Care Facilties) a patients / individuals privacy is not only paramount, but a legal requirement. The issue is that the camera can not be turned off. The way around this is to setup IP Notify profiles to Arm and Disarm Recording and to activate and deactivate a black “Obscure Image Area” that covers the entire image area. The configuration can be changed based on Time Tables or manually via custom soft-buttons.

The example below show how to leverage Time Tables for a fully automated configuration:

1. From the page Setup Menu > General Image Settings, enable the Obscure Image Area parameter and add the following text into the textbox to create a black rectangle that covers the entire Image:

Please note the difference between Day and Night: the first drop-down menu is set to “On” for the first time table and to “Off” for the second time table. This makes the two time tables complementary.

1. From the page Admin Menu > IP Notify Profiles, create 2 IP Notify Profiles to Enable and Disable the Obscure Image

Disable Obscure Image Area

Parameter Value
IP Notify Profile Name Enable_Obscure_Image
Predefined Configuration Custom Configuration
Destination Address 127.0.0.1:80
Send Order Parallel send to all
Transfer Protocol HTTP/1.0 Request
CGI-Path /control/control
HTTP Authentication admin:meinsm
Notification Data Plain text
Message set&section=general&obscure_image=enable

Enable Obscure Image Area

Parameter Value
IP Notify Profile Name Disable_Obscure_Image
Message set&section=general&obscure_image=disable

Note: replace the authentication credentials with the ones of your camera.

1. From the page Admin Menu > IP Notify Profiles, create 2 IP Notify Profiles to enable and disable recordings

Enable Recordings

Parameter Value
IP Notify Profile Name Enable_Recording
Message set&section=recording&recording_activ=enable

Disable Recordings

Parameter Value
IP Notify Profile Name Disable_Recordings
Message set&section=recording&recording_activ=disable

Note: replace the authentication credentials with the ones of your camera.

1. From the page Admin Menu > Time Tables, create two Time Tables (one to cover the times where recording and the image are enabled, the other to cover the times where recording and the image need to be disabled). Example:

1. From the page Admin Menu > Time Tasks create 4 time tasks to Enable/Disable recording and Image Obscure Area. It’s important that the commands are executed sequentially therefore they must be at least 1 minute apart. Here is an example:

1 Like

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but it’s worth a try.

Is there a way of triggering the blacking-out of the image automatically? For example by defining a motion detection event in a particular area of the image.

BR
Barry.

Hi Barry,

Yes, instead of adding the IP Notify to a Time Task (as in the example above), you would use the IP Notifiy Profiles in two seperate Action Groups to enable and disable the Obscured Image.

Create the Action Groups:

Event Selection: Will be the events you want to trigger the enabling or disabling of the Obscure Image

Action: Will be the relavant IP Notify Profile to turn Enable or Disable.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. Good to hear this should be possible. I’m experiencing difficulties, however.

I’m trying to configure an M12 camera to do this. Is it possible to do this with this model? There is no Event Control → Action Group Overview group in the web interface.

I’ve been trying to link a Video Motion Window (VM) event with an IP-Notify Profile, so far without any success. It seems like it might be possible to do so under Event Control → Messaging, but for some reason all events are displayed in brackets although as far as I can see I’ve activated (VM - Video Motion).

It would be great if you could give me another tip.

BR
Barry.