MOBOTIX HUB - FAQ Legacy Device Pack (ENG)

General information about the Legacy Device Pack

What is the legacy device pack?
One of MOBOTIX HUB VMS unique selling points is its vast support for a huge number of cameras, currently 13.500+ devices. Drivers are delivered serveral times per year via a download-heavy device pack, which is included in the
MOBOTIX HUB VMS installer. To reduce download time, we have decided to split the device pack into two. The main device pack (Driver Installer), called the device pack, contains commonly used camera drivers, is released serveral time per year and is included in the MOBOTIX HUB installer. The second device pack, called the legacy device pack, only contains older drivers for less commonly used devices and is separate from the MOBOTIX HUB installer.

What are the benefits of the legacy device pack?
Two device packs (Driver Installer), the device pack and the legacy device pack, allow us to reduce the size of our device pack, which leaves a smaller footprint on servers. This gives users a faster download and smaller installer for a better overall experience.

What devices are included in the legacy device pack?
In general, the legacy device pack is for the least commonly used and older drivers.

Does it cost anything to get the legacy device pack?
Just like our main device pack (Driver Installer), the legacy device pack is an integral part of the MOBOTIX HUB installation and is available at no cost from the MOBOTIX website to all MOBOTIX HUB users.

Downloading and installation

How do I know if I need to install the legacy device pack?
Generally, installations with older and not commonly used drivers will need the legacy device pack.

How do I know if the legacy device pack is installed?
You can easily check if you have the legacy device pack installed in the same way you do for the device pack. In Windows, go into System Settings, then go to Add/Remove Programs and scroll to see if the legacy device
pack is listed.

Is the legacy device pack included in the XProtect installer?
No, the legacy device pack is not part of the MOBOTIX HUB installer and needs to be downloaded separately from the MOBOTIX website. However, the device pack
will continue to be part of the MOBOTIX HUB installer.

Where can I download the legacy device pack?
The legacy device pack can be downloaded, along with the device pack, from the MOBOTIX website. If you know what you need, simply visit https://www.mobotix.com/en/software-downloads to get a link to download.

My installation needs both the device pack and legacy device pack, how do I upgrade?
For MOBOTIX HUB L1, L2, L3,L4 and MOBOTIX HIB L5, you can install the legacy device before or after the software update. Please note that until the legacy device pack is installed, not all devices will work.

I currently have an MOBOTIX HUB L1,L2,L3 installation, what happens when I download the latest device pack?
The installer will complete installation as usual and install the latest device pack. Regardless of the cameras you are using, the installer will tell you to check the MOBOTIX website or get back to our support to determine if the legacy device pack
is needed. If you have older cameras that need drivers in the legacy device pack, these cameras will only work once the legacy device pack is installed.

Will the legacy device pack overwrite my already installed device pack?
No, the legacy device pack will not uninstall the device pack (Driver Installer). You can have both the device pack and legacy device pack installed on your system at the same time. However, when you install the latest device pack, it will replace the older device pack on your system. Similarly, when you install the latest legacy device pack, it will replace the older legacy device pack on your system.

I can see I need both the device pack and the legacy device pack, can I install both?
Yes, you can have both the device pack and legacy device pack installed on your system at the same time.

What if I uninstall the legacy device pack, will my system stop working?
It is completely safe to uninstall either the device pack or the legacy device pack. However, if you uninstall the legacy device pack and you have older cameras that need those drivers, the system will only remain operational for the cameras using the device pack. If you don’t need the drivers in the legacy device pack
and you uninstall it, the system will be fully operational.

What happens if I have the legacy device pack and I want to install an old version of the device pack?
You should not run into any issues installing an old version of the device pack. The old device pack will overwrite overlapping drivers in the legacy device pack and your system should remain completely functional.

Can I only use the legacy device pack?
No, even if your system does not have cameras that need drivers in the device pack, you must have the device pack (Driver Installer) installed for the legacy device pack to work.

Support

Can I contact support if I have issues with devices that are part of the legacy device pack?
Yes, you can continue to contact support just like you normally do with the device pack. Remember to check the Release Notes list for more details!

Will MOBOTIX AG stop updating a device if it is part of the legacy device pack?
The legacy device pack contains older, not common drivers that are no longer part of our device pack development roadmap. We will no longer update drivers that are a part of the legacy device pack. This means that we will not fix potential bugs or update the feature set of drivers in the legacy device pack, but we will continue to offer technical support on the MOBOTIX HUB system.

Will the legacy device pack be updated for cybersecurity issues?
Our focus with device drivers is to develop new drivers for the latest technologies and create deep integrations for the most common drivers. Therefore, we will not update drivers in the legacy device pack for bug fixes, new features or cybersecurity issues. For customers concerned with cybersecurity, MOBOTIX recommends to only use devices supported by drivers in the device pack because we release a device pack frequently with the latest features, including bug fixes and cybersecurity patches.