Using Auto-Generate to create Video Motion windows

The MOBOTIX Auto-Generate function is a great tool to use when you want to quickly create accurate motion detection windows.

In this tutorial we will show you how to set this up from within Event Overview, which is a new addition to the camera’s Setup Menu…

Overview

This is a basic example of using the Auto-Generated Video Motion windows. In this example there is a camera viewing a courtyard and the objective is to create an Event Profile using only the video motion windows covering a part of the image. This can be done easily with the auto-generated VM windows.

Note - the camera model used in this tutorial is a Q24M-Sec-D11 running software version MX-V4.1.4.11.

Procedure

The first step after going to the cameras web browser interface is to go to the “Setup Menu”.
Once in the “Setup Menu”, go to the “Event Overview”.

AutoGenerate_1

In the “Event Overview”, click on the “Edit” button for “Image Analysis Events”.

AutoGenerate_2

Make sure that you are seeing all of the options by clicking on the “More” button in the lower right corner of the menu.

AutoGenerate_3

In the “Image Analysis Events” menu:

• Uncheck the “Hide Unused Window” checkbox
  • Check the “Edit Window Definitions in Detail” checkbox
  • Add the Auto-Generate ($generate=) command to the “Video Motion Definitions” field
    (this command was copied directly from the camera Help file)
  • Uncheck the “Inactive” checkbox for the VM profile

Then click on Set, wait for the page to refresh, Close, and OK to save the settings to the configuration.

Then you should be able to see the Auto-Generated Video Motion windows across the entire viewing area.

AutoGenerate_5

At this point there are too many Video Motion windows. We don’t need to detect moving objects on the whole covered area but only on the courtyard in front of the house.

To do this I first check the Hide Unused Window checkbox.

AutoGenerate_6

Then I can create a new VM profile by clicking on the “Add New Profile” button or, as in this example, I will modify the existing VM profile.

• Make sure that the Inactive checkbox for the VM profile is unchecked
  • List VM windows by their ID in the “Window List” field. If one of the listed windows detects motion, this event is triggered. Entries are separated by commas, and can consist of single windows or ranges (e.g. “g1,g2,g4-7”). Note that the window IDʼs for the autogenerated VMʼs are proceeded by the letter g.

Then click on Set, wait for the page to refresh, Close, and OK to save the settings to the configuration.

AutoGenerate_7

Now I have an Event Profile using only the video motion windows covering the part of the image I’m interested in that I can use to trigger various actions and messaging as well as recording in the Action Group Overview and Recording menus.

AutoGenerate_8

Conclusion

As you can see, this gives the possibility to define specific triggers for different areas of an image by creating individual sets of VM windows for separate profiles. The latest MOBOTIX software release, MX-V4.1.4.11, makes the Video Motion function much more powerful than in previous software versions. More information can be found in the camera help file.

Additional Tip

Tired of drawing VM areas? Find out how the MobotixTools (by Lantec - Romania) can help you create perspective VM detection.